Wednesday 2 September 2009

Let's face the music (and run?)

The observant of you (hello mum!) may have noticed that my blogs seem to have taken a certain vow of abstinence recently, as, well, there haven't been any. I have been avoiding writing one all week, a little out of shame, but mainly for fear of taking a ripping / rollocking from HMC. There have been no blogs, as there has been no running. I do however have a very good reason for this, well, a reason at least... more of an excuse, if you will.

You see, I had last week off work, and unlike most who take this as an opportunity to have a little R&R, I am not like most, and choose to spend my free time carrying out hard, physical labour. This comes mainly in the form of restoring my 76 mini, which generally involves me kneeling down on a ridged concrete floor for long periods at a time. To add to this, years of subjecting my body to this abuse in my free time, as well as sitting down for a living and as a major past time, have left me with a rather prematurely bad back. So, there we have it, the three separate elements which combined, form my excuse - tired, sore knees, bad back. I did initially try and keep up to week 2 of my plan, having a good run on Monday night which consisted of a 15minute run at 11k/h, followed by 5 minute run / rest intervals for the next half an hour. Attempted the same on Tuesday, managed another 15minute run, but was too knackered and limpy to carry on for another half an hour. Wednesday the plan got abandoned in favour of the excuse.

BUT

I had a good run last night. Normal service has resumed, I am now back at work, and this was marked with a return to the treadmill. The recent spate of laziness didn't initially appear to have taken too much of a toll on me, so I decided to do intervals 0f 7 minutes at 11k/h (incline 2 - however much "2" is) with 3 minute rests at 7 k/h. I managed to keep this up for 35 minutes, but I was beginning to drag my legs, and knowing first hand how much it hurts to fall on a treadmill, decided to call it a night. I was quite pleased with this despite the premature end to the session. Aside from limping a little towards the end, I actually felt alright, no stitch or anything! I fear I may be getting fitter.

My laziness of last week has had an impact today it seems. My legs have ached all day, not badly, and not as bad as when I first started, but enough to pull a funny face when walking up a flight of stairs, and enough to just know that I wouldn't have been able to beat last nights run, so I have taken a rest day, with the view of having a good run tomorrow. This leaves me with a bit of a dilemma:

Do I run every night and only manage half arsed results OR do I run every second day and be able to put in full effort? The logic in the latter part of my thinking is that when I still used to go to the gym, my instructor specifically told me not to do two days in a row as this will mean you can put in full effort every other day, rather than half effort every day. I wasn't going to argue with him, the guy was like a shaved bear, plus it meant I got to spend more time with my friend, the sofa.

No comments:

Post a Comment